Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grace 1/Adrian Darya Oil Tanker
Britain has been plunged into a diplomatic row with Iran after Royal Marines seized an Iranian oil tanker as it passed through the Strait of Gibraltar, in a move likely to further inflame tensions in the Persian Gulf. 

The Grace 1 super-tanker was boarded in the early hours of Thursday morning to prevent it from delivering a cargo of crude oil to Syria in defiance of EU sanctions, apparently following a request to the UK from the United States.  

The move provoked fury in Iran, which accused Britain of bowing to US pressure to blockade its oil exports and summoned the British ambassador to the foreign ministry in Tehran to express "its very strong objection to the illegal and unacceptable seizure" of the 300 meter vessel. 

Abbas Moussavi, a spokesman, called the move "destructive" and said it could increase tensions in the Persian Gulf, where six oil tankers have recently suffered attacks that Britain and the US have blamed on Iran.

In an interview on Iranian television, Mr Mousavi said it was "a form of piracy" that proved Britain was following "the hostile policies of the US".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07...elivering/

US National Security Advisor John Bolton said the British move was "excellent news." "America & our allies will continue to prevent regimes in Tehran & Damascus from profiting off this illicit trade," Bolton said on Twitter.

The operation was over in minutes with no shots fired. Fabian Picardo, Gibraltar's Chief Minister, said he authorised the assault and a police request for Royal Marine assistance because he believed the ship was bound for the Baniyas refinery in Syria. "That refinery is the property of an entity that is subject to European Union sanctions against Syria," he said.

The foreign minister of Spain said Britain had acted as the request of the United States. Josep Borrell, the Spanish foreign minister, said Madrid was assessing the implications of the incident because it took place in waters it considers its own. Spain disputes British ownership of Gibraltar.

The Foreign Office said Rob Macaire, the UK ambassador in Tehran, told the foreign ministry when he was summoned that the move was about enforcing sanctions on Syria, not on Iran, and that Britain views Iranian oil exports in general as legitimate."

[Image: Screenshot-2019-07-05-at-02-29-42.png]
Update: Gibraltar Supreme Court agreed to an extension of the detention period of the seized Grace 1 tanker for an additional 14 days (until 19th July).
Why ? We r expecting Iran to retaliate.
[Image: e5082674-498a-4c40-9e71-5ce478888706.jpg]
(07-06-2019, 11:08 AM)Ahmed Luqman Wrote: Why ? We r expecting Iran to retaliate.
Iran must be smart with its retaliation, first give UK a chance to release the tanker. 

As for why - the EU has sanctions against oil refineries in Syria. These sanctions are clearly immoral and a form of collective punishment in my opinion, but they exist. The EU say Iran was shipping crude oil to that refinery and it was in EU waters (true), so it had a right to detain the ship to check if it is indeed breaching EU sanctions. 

My guess is they (the US) were tracking the ship and waited for it to enter the EU waters and asked the UK to seize it once it reached Gibraltar's waters (if it just stayed in waters of other EU states such as Spain it is very unlikely they would have enforced this - UK are puppet for US at the moment).
This is an engineered crisis and the main targets are France and Germany . Iran is second objective of it .

I see this as last try of current U.K government which is loosing ground to jeremy corbyn leader of labor party .

its comparable to last days of Obama's administration and Russian diplomats dilemma . ( less extreme version of Tanker seizure )
It appears that this was done to pressure Iran to stay in the JCPOA. However, the JCPOA is dead in the water. Trump is just trying to get mileage out of this incident. Something had to be done after Iran shot down that drone, so this is it. The tanker will be released. They can't hold it much longer or Iran will inevitably do its thing.
(07-08-2019, 10:46 AM)pin gu Wrote: This is an engineered crisis and the main targets are France and Germany . Iran is second objective of it .

I see this as last try of current U.K government which is loosing ground to jeremy corbyn leader of labor party .

its comparable to last days of Obama's administration and Russian diplomats dilemma . ( less extreme version of Tanker seizure )
actually labour are doing worse than ever: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/art...-4th-place

Who is the main opposition ?
I have a honest question.

What does Iran expect France to do?

France doesnt want a war against Iran and i see that our country work hard to keep the deal running. I expect Iran to also try its best to keep it running.

The oil tanker thing is just a distracction. They will release it anyways.
(07-08-2019, 06:00 PM)pin gu Wrote:

Who is the main opposition ?
May is resigning because of Brexit, she will be replaced by Boris Johnson (right-wing traditional Conservative) as PM within a week or so. 

The main opposition in the UK is usually Labour, but Labour these days (despite Conservative government's terrible handling of the Brexit issue) are not so popular for some reason. Jeremy Corbyn (Labour leader) is seen as quite far-left and has some controversies with Hamas/Hezbollah (mostly media-manufactured in an attempt of 'character assassination').

(07-08-2019, 06:26 PM)Aristide Wrote: I have a honest question.

What does Iran expect France to do?

France doesnt want a war against Iran and i see that our country work hard to keep the deal running. I expect Iran to also try its best to keep it running.

The oil tanker thing is just a distracction. They will release it anyways.
This issue is nothing to do with France. 

About JCPOA, don't follow US talking points about Iran's missiles and focus on building INSTEX and giving Iran the economic benefits it needs to justify staying in JCPOA. So far Iran has acted with a lot of restraint and patience, but it can't stay in a useless deal forever. If the EU can make INSTEX work then Iran will happily return to full compliance with the JCPOA. Iran is taking these steps precisely to make the JCPOA work better, not because it wants to leave the deal for no reason or something.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blast Sets Iran Tanker On Fire Off Saudi, 2 Missiles Hit It: State Media arashkamangir 14 1,961 10-31-2019, 10:33 PM
Last Post: RedDevil