Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iranian Short-Range SAM - "Oghab"
This thread is about Iran's efforts to produce a fully indigenous, modern short-range SAM system. Recently, this system has been announced as "Oghab" and in the final stages of its testing.

Originally, it was speculated that Iran would seek to manufacture a copy of the Russian Pantsir SAM system. 

Pantsir is a short-medium range SAM system developed by Russia designed to intercept PGM/cruise missiles/UAVs at short-ranges. 

In September 2018, Deputy Commander of of Khatam ol-Anbia Air Defence Base for Research and Self-Sufficiency Jihad General Mahmoud Ebrahiminejad stated that Iran had been carrying out research work required to create an Iranian Pantsir system for the past 2 years and promised good results soon.

However, it seems that the Iranian Oghab SAM system will be slightly different and perhaps merge technologies of the Pantsir (missile) with the Tor (cold launch). 

Please post all news and analysis of further developments of the Oghab SAM system in this thread.

Speculated image of wind tunnel tested missile of Iranian Pantsir:

[Image: test.jpg]
Well they announced a system named "Oghab" didn't they? Although people speculate that due to it's announced range, it's actually a copy of Tor-M1 rather than pantsir. We need pantsir. We need it not tomorrow, but today. We need it in Syria and Iraq RN.
(08-25-2019, 10:46 AM)haman10 Wrote: Well they announced a system named "Oghab" didn't they? Although people speculate that due to it's announced range, it's actually a copy of Tor-M1 rather than pantsir. We need pantsir. We need it not tomorrow, but today. We need it in Syria and Iraq RN.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they just mentioned the system, rather than formally announcing it? So it's not clear what that was referring to...
(08-25-2019, 10:46 AM)haman10 Wrote: Well they announced a system named "Oghab" didn't they? Although people speculate that due to it's announced range, it's actually a copy of Tor-M1 rather than pantsir. We need pantsir. We need it not tomorrow, but today. We need it in Syria and Iraq RN.

Tor is actually in many aspects much more capable than any Pantsir version,it has less range and lack of AAA but it is only AD capable to catch even bird and plastic drones,till Pantsir S2 it was only capable to engage while on move,even now Pantsir S2 engage while moving is very limited, TOR for example can be turn in to naval SAM thanks to this characteristics, you put whole TOR on ship or detach TOR module from chassis and install it as container,also it is capable to engage targets in negative altitude... As I said,one of best shorad Sam,if it is TOR,than I'm sure they will develop it from TOR-m2e instead M1 even as I remember one of Iranian generals said they work on System developed on Pantsir basis...so I would bet on Pantsir but we will see
Iran copied the 30 mm Pantsir system, it sounded good.

But actually Iran already has a greater potential (have a better one than Pantsir), if only Iran combines the 35 mm Samavat system with the Raad artillery rocket (short range air defense system).

[Image: 2019-08-26-07-22-06.jpg]
Sistem Samavat 35 mm automatic

[Image: 2019-08-26-08-12-46.jpg]
Raad artillery rocket (short range air defense system)

[Image: 2019-08-26-08-14-39.jpg]
Hoooohh how nice is that? Thats the first time i see 35 mm Samavat mounted on truck. That looks great. Due to its Oerlikon, put some AHEAD ammunition with it.
Raad short range air defense
Is that an unguided SAM system?
"Brigadier General Alireza Elhami, the deputy commander of Khatam al-Anbiya Air Defense Base said on Sunday that the homegrown system, dubbed ‘Oghab’ (meaning eagle in Persian), is passing the final tests and will join the military forces soon.

Oghab is a short-range, mobile defensive system, capable of targeting different flying objects and cruise missiles, he added.

The top commander said the new system will confuse the enemies because it has been fully designed and developed by the Iranian experts and the enemies are not aware of what they will face."

https://en.mehrnews.com/news/149266/Iran...nse-system
(08-26-2019, 02:50 PM)jafari Wrote: Is that an unguided SAM system?

Raad rockets are SAM systems that are guided (radio / optical). 

Yes, even though the rocket was originally but it can still be guided, just like the Fajr-5C rocket also has a guide or the SY-300 China rocket also has a guide. 

Raad rocket (my correction if wrong) seems to have the same size as the 122 mm BM-21 Grad. 

Following are the specifications of BM-21 (Raad) and 57E6-E Pantsir. BM-21 rocket has many versions and range, such as BM-21 9M521 weighs 66 kg, range 40 km, warhead 21 kg, while Edepro G2000 / 52 weighs 64.4 kg, range 52 km, warhead 19 kg, for BM-21 the Iranian version I don't know is its specifications but might be improved. 

57E6 Pantsir specifications are 76 kg sliding weight, 18 km range, 15 km height, and 20 kg warhead. 

In my opinion, the Tor missile in addition to the advantages that can be launched cold, but the Tor missiles are also inefficient (for the Pantsir system) when compared to the 57E6 Pantsir or Raad missiles. that's because the weight of the Tor missile is more than twice (167 kg) than 57E6 and Raad, but it has a maximum range of only 12 km, a height of 6 km, and a speed of only mach 2,5.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iran made long range Early Warning System radar admin 5 4,730 09-01-2019, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Persian Gulf
  S-300 in Iranian Service AmirPatriot 3 4,045 05-19-2018, 07:13 PM
Last Post: TruthHurtz